AnnouncementsSarawak RDC STEM RESEARCH FUND (Sparx) (Version 2, 2023)
The Bright Sparx Fund offer grants of RM5,000 for ambitious, student-initiated projects in any scientific field, that can bring benefit to society and the economy. This is a merit-based award intended to fund school student research projects.
Objective: The award gives students the opportunity:
- to experience scientific research (mentored by university research-active staff, whenever possible);
- meet others with similar abilities and interests;
- get guidance from scientists, and interact with graduate students in universities in Sarawak.
Young Scientists will be invited to present their completed project in a Mini SPARX symposium.
Who Can Apply?
The Bright Sparx Fund accepts project proposals from students, in any scientific field aged between 7 and 20 (Primary 1 to Form 6) at the date of the proposal submission. Students in Polytechnics and TVETS are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be students enrolled in a school/polytechnic in Sarawak. Priority will be given to rural schools in Sarawak.
- Projects must be nominated by the school’s STEM committee in each participating school.
- Proposals must be in a team of not more than 3 people. Each school may submit up to 3 projects.
- Submissions must be in both a written project and a presentation format (PowerPoint), using the template provided.
- Recipients of the award are encouraged to participate in the Sarawak RDC Research Symposiums to present their findings.
- Funding provided may be used for research materials, and learning experiences related to their project.
- Funds may not be used to purchase equipment unrelated to the research or design project or professional services.
- Grant money will be given directly to the hosting school for disbursement. Recipient schools are responsible for managing the fund for purchases pursuant to their own policies.
- Schools may levy a fee of up to RM1000 of the fund as bench fees to host the project team.
- An amount of up to RM1500 of the fund may be allocated for travel and transportation-related activities.
- Intellectual Property rights shall be discussed in good faith between the parties involved in the project, i.e., the Sarawak RDC, the School, and the Project Team.
- Project Team and recipient school will be required to provide a letter of undertaking that they will utilize the funds towards achieving the objectives proposed in their projects and assure completion of the project.
- Cannot be used to support an existing project. Must be a new project.
What Kinds of Proposals are Considered?
Any creative, innovative, and engaging classroom proposal that integrates aspects of science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics will be considered.
Funding amount and duration:
Applicants are advised that the grant amount is capped at RM5,000 from Sarawak RDC.
The duration of research will be up to a maximum of 6 months, depending on the nature of the project.
How to apply:
All proposals should be electronically submitted and emailed to email@example.com. using using the attached Application Form.